Tuesday, January 27, 2009




Sugar, Sugar awww honey, honey... one of my many obsessive loves is of old recipe cards. You know the kind your mom hoarded religiously in a burnt orange plastic recipe file that was full to capacity with odd velveeta cheese filled recipes. Maybe that was just ours. My mother's credo with cooking is that there is nothing that frying, ranch dressing or cheese cannot make better. I have to say that in my heart of hearts I tend to agree ShhhHH don't tell anyone! She (my mother) recently pressed upon me a veritable treasure trove of old recipe cards with such gems as "Cheese Dreams", "Hot Dog Cheesies" and the recipe for "Russian teacakes" which I will be sharing with you. That they are neither teacakes nor seem to be Russian in any way seems to have been immaterial to the peeps at the Betty Crocker recipe card library. Consider yourself warned.

Russian Teacakes
1 cup butter or marg. softened
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 & 1/4 cups flour (not self rising)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioner's sugar

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix butter, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. Work in the flour and salt until dough holds together. Shape into 1" balls. Place onto ungreased baking sheet.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until set but not brown. While warm roll in confectioner's sugar. Cool. Or roll in colored sugar BEFORE baking. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

My note on these is that the colored sugar option is the way to go. The cookies look lovely and you want to eat them all immediately! These would be perfect cookies to make with a smaller child as they are really easy and what kid does'nt like playing in colored sugar- Oh the joy! If I had a little girl I may need to throw her a teaparty just to serve these.

And as an afterthought, a bag that I just finished for another swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers